With USB-C upon us now in smartphones, laptops, computers, monitors, and more, a good, USB-IF certified USB-C cable is a must. Our latest USB-C cable review takes a look at the Monoprice Select Series 3.1 USB-C to USB-C Gen 2 cable which offers speeds up to 10Gbps and up to 5A for charging.
The Monoprice Select Series 3.1 USB-C to USB-C Gen 2 cable has the following features and specifications:
- Fast Charging: The cable can deliver up to 5 amps of charging power, providing for fast charging of phones, tablets, and other mobile devices.
- USB 3.1 Gen 2: Transfer music, photos, video, or data to and from a USB-C equipped laptop at speeds up to 10 Gbps.
- Reversible Design: The reversible Type-C connector is always properly oriented, eliminating a common source of frustration from trying to plug in improperly oriented Type-A connectors.
- 4K Resolution: Connect a USB-C equipped monitor at resolutions up to Ultra HD 4K video for a sharper, clearer, and more realistic picture.
- Data Transfer Rate: SuperSpeed+ USB 3.1, 10Gbps
- Maximum Power: 5 Amps
- Length: 3.3 ft (1m)
- Wire Gauge: 30AWG
- USB-IF Certified
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Lifetime warranty
What’s in the box
- Monoprice Select Series 3.1 USB-C to USB-C Gen 2 cable
Like most cables, there’s not much to the Monoprice Select Series 3.1 USB-C to USB-C Gen 2 cable. It is thick due to its 30AWG construction and while flexible, it is a bit stiffer than some other cables you may be used to. Each end of the 3.3 ft (1m) cable has a 2 1/8 x 1/2 x 1/4″ housing for the male USB-C connectors. Both ends are also stamped with the SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen 2) Specification logo. The housings are nice and sturdy and easy to grasp. In addition, they fit without issue on every device we tried the cable on, including smartphones with cases.
Ease of Use
There’s not much to say here, like any other cable simply plug one end into one device and the other into another and you’re good to go. You can use the cable to connect your phone to a wall charger or laptop, your computer to a USB-C hub or USB-C Thunderbolt device like a monitor, or even connect two USB-C smartphones together for data transfer or power sharing.
First and foremost, the Monoprice Select Series 3.1 USB-C to USB-C Gen 2 cable is USB-IF certified which means you don’t have to worry about it potentially destroying your USB-C devices, as is the case with some early USB-C cables before USB-IF certification came around.
During our testing, data transfer speeds were indeed faster between devices than using a USB-C 3.0 or USB-C 2.0 cable. Fast/turbo charging is supported as well with up to 5 amps of charging power available through this cable. On the three smartphones with USB-C ports that we tested, charging times were definitely in line with fast charging.
Unfortunately, we didn’t have any USB-C monitors on hand to test it out with but the cable worked well with USB-C hubs as well.
At $12.99USD, the Monoprice Select Series 3.1 USB-C to USB-C Gen 2 cable is very affordably priced, and easily half the price of many USB-C Gen 1 cables on the market.
If you’re looking for an affordable, USB-IF certified USB-C cable with fast speeds and fast charging support, the Monoprice Select Series 3.1 USB-C to USB-C cable is exactly what you need.
*We were sent a sample of the Monoprice Select Series 3.1 USB-C to USB-C Gen 2 cable for the purposes of this review.
Monoprice Select Series 3.1 USB-C to USB-C Gen 2 cable$12.99USD
Last Updated on