With slimmer laptops and USB Type-C gaining ground, there are fewer ports on the latest devices. Our dodocool 7-in-1 USB-C Hub review takes a look at a hub which adds multiple ports including USB-A, HDMI, and USB-Type C without breaking the bank.
The dodocool 7-in-1 USB-C Hub has the following features and specifications:
- Cable length: Approx. 5.12 in/130.00 mm
- Video resolution (HD output port): Up to 4K UHD (3840×2160 @ 30Hz) or 2K/1080p/720p/480p/360p
- Data transfer rate(USB 3.0 Type-A port): Up to 5 Gbps
- Ethernet transfer rate (Ethernet port): Support 10/100/1000 Mbps
- Compatible USB-C devices (including but not limited to the following):
- For MacBook (12-inch)
- For MacBook Pro (13-inch & 15-inch)
- For Google Chromebook Pixel (12.85-inch)
- For Dell XPS 13 9350 (13-inch)/XPS 15 9550 (15-inch)
- For Lenovo Yoga 900 (13.3-inch)
- For Huawei MateBook (12-inch)
- For Microsoft Lumia 950 (5.2-inch)/Lumia 950XL (5.7-inch)
- System requirements: USB-C enabled devices with Windows 10/8.1/8/7, macOS X v10.0 or above operating systems
- Warranty: 12 months limited warranty
- Item size: Approx. 4.22 * 2.33 * 0.73 in
- Item weight: Approx. 2.75oz
What’s in the box
- dodocool 7-in-1 USB-C Hub
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Guide (30-day money back guarantee, 18-month limited warranty)
As is the case with most USB hubs, the dodocool 7-in-1 USB-C Hub has a simple, nondescript design. The main plastic black box is roughly 2 ¼ x 4 ¼ x ¾” and connects to your computer by way of a USB-C cable roughly 5″ in length. The cable itself is nice and sturdy, and a USB Type-C port is located on the same side as the cable. On the side opposite the cable are three USB 3.0 ports (Type-A) and an HDMI port. On either end is a gigabit Ethernet port and a VGA port. The top of the box has the dodocool logo printed across the center, but not garishly so, and an LED light in the upper left corner to indicate it’s plugged in and powered on. Four small rubber feet are located on the bottom of the box to help it from sliding around on whatever surface you might be placing it on.
It would be nice to have a longer cable so you could tuck the hub around behind your computer. As well, while a plastic enclosure makes for a more affordable product, there is some flex on the top and bottom of the hub if you apply a bit of pressure to it. Depending on your usage and how often you transport it, as long as you take care to not throw it in the bottom of your backpack or bag with heavy stuff on top of it, you should be fine.
Ease of Use
There’s not much to discuss here really, just plug the dodocool 7-in-1 USB-C Hub into your USB-C Thunderbolt port on your laptop or other device. Once the LED turn on, plug in your USB devices, Ethernet cable, HDMI cable, or VGA cable and connect the other end to your monitor, smartphone, or whatever device you need to connect to your computer.
For the most part, the dodocool 7-in-1 USB-C Hub works well. Even though I have ample ports on my laptop, I used the hub for about two weeks and had a 1080p HDMI monitor connected to it, as well as my Ethernet cable, mouse, and keyboard. During this time, I had no issues with dropped connections, slow network speeds or any monitor issues.
I also connected my smartphone via USB-C for both charging and data transfer. I did have issues with a couple of USB-C cables not working with it, but those that did worked fine and data transfer and fast charging both worked fine with my phone.
I did test it briefly with a 4K monitor as well, and even though it output a 4K signal, it was limited to 30Hz which is less than ideal depending on what work you’re using a 4K monitor for.
USB-C hubs can run upwards of $100 depending on construction, included ports, and manufacturer. Fortunately, the dodocool 7-in-1 USB-C Hub isn’t going to break the bank and offers great value at it’s $39.99USD selling price. I might be a bit worried about the plastic enclosure but as long as you take care with how you transport it, you shouldn’t have any issues.
If you have a newer laptop like a MacBook, Chromebook Pixel, Dell XPS, Lenovo Yoga, or other devices with limited ports, the dodocool 7-in-1 USB-C Hub is an affordable multi-port solution with decent performance.
*We were sent a sample of the dodocool 7-in-1 USB-C Hub for the purposes of this review.
Last Updated on April 22, 2018.