CAT just announced what they’re calling their “flagship device” — the CAT S61 which is the successor to the CAT S60. What makes this lineup unique is the inclusion of a FLIR thermal camera. CAT says the S61 brings improvements to the FLIR thermal camera as well as the phone itself.
The new S61 boasts a built-in laser assisted distance measuring tool and an indoor air quality sensor. The new FLIR camera system software has been upgraded as well. It will now provide greater image contrast, expanded temperature range to 400 degrees Celsius, and an upgrade from VGA to High-Definition detail from the visible camera.
Here’s a rundown of the CAT S61’s key features:
- Leading rugged credentials
- Aluminium reinforced die-cast frame
- MIL Spec 810G
- Built to survive repeated drop tests onto concrete from 1.8m
- IP68 dustproof and waterproof, tested in water up to 3m deep for 1 hour
- Screen protected by the latest Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5
- FLIR Thermal camera Lepton
- Increase measurable scene temperature range -20°C to 400°C
- Enhanced MyFLIR app with Live Streaming of thermal images
- Improved FLIR MSX image resolution
- Laser assisted area and distance measurement, up to 10m
- VOC indoor air quality meter and humidity sensor
- Android™ Oreo (with upgrade to P)
- 5.2” FHD bright display, optimized for outdoor use
- Touch screen can be controlled with gloves on or with wet fingers
- Large 4500mAh capacity battery, QC4.0 compatible
- 16MP rear camera, 8MP front camera, 4K video
- 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM (expandable with MicroSD)
- 2.2GHz Octa-core processor (Qualcomm Snapdragon 630)
- LTE Cat 13, VoLTE, VoWiFi
- Enhanced GPS, BT5.0, NFC, dual-band WiFi (2.4GHz/5GHz)
- Curated app catalog for rugged device users
Peter Stephens, CEO Bullitt Group, global mobile device licensee for Caterpillar, said:
“We know that 60% of Cat S60 customers use the integrated thermal camera at least once per week and the temperature and resolution improvements found in the new Cat S61 will open up thermal imaging to many more users and use cases. Packing in even more genuinely useful tools of the trade means there’s simply no other smartphone out there that can do everything the S61 can. We are incredibly proud of it.”
The Cat S61 will be available in Q2 at an MSRP of €899/£799/$999USD and will be available to order from www.catphones.com and selected retailers and operators globally.
We recently reviewed the CAT S41, which we found to be a fantastic device for working people. The S61 packs a whole lot more in and for a higher price. It will be interesting to see if it sells well.
Last Updated on