Alienware is Dell’s gaming division and has just announced the aptly named Alienware Area-51m at CES 2019 which was designed around their new industrial design language dubbed “Legend.”
The company is also boasting that the Area-51m is the world’s most powerful gaming laptop and a “Return to Form” — “a sculpted and iconic gaming system that reaches performance and upgradability levels previously only imagined within gaming desktops.”
“We’re excited to come to this year’s CES with some truly groundbreaking products, next-gen software and strategic partnerships that will bring more people to experience PC gaming and advance the industry. The legend design answers the call for more and better from our gaming community.”Frank Azor, vice president and general manager, Alienware, G Series and XPS
The Alienware Area-51m is powered by the latest 9th generation Intel Core i7 and i9 processors and features discrete NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics. Alienware also says that the Area-51m is the first notebook to support 8-core processors with Intel’s Z390 desktop chipset, as well as the first to support 2.5Gbit Ethernet. Rounding out the notable features include 64GB of RAM and a 3-sided narrow-bezel display with 144GHz G-Sync support.
Some of the key features of the Area-51m gaming laptop include:
- AlienFX customizable lighting available across various zones including the power button, LCD cover Alien head, and a new infinite loop.
- Engineered for full support for Alienware Command Center technology enabling the management of system settings, game profiles, AlienFX, and with integrated special features in over 150 game titles.
- Enables full support for the Alienware Graphics Amplifier enabling dedicated PCI-Express bandwidth for desktop graphics cards from NVIDIA or AMD.
- Magnesium alloy construction enables the Area-51m to conserve on weight while maintaining structural rigidity and relative thinness.
- Alienware’s Advanced Cryo-Tech 2.0 technology platform on the Area-51m is our most robust notebook cooling solution yet moving more CFM of ambient air than any previous Alienware notebook.
- Designed with our premium Alienware TactX keyboard featuring 2.2mm of travel, anti-ghosting technology, per-key RGB LED lighting, N-Key rollover technology, and a steel backplane for rigidity and uniform feedback.
- Our new three-sided narrow-bezel display is offered with the 5thgeneration Tobii Eye Tracking technology, built with competitive gaming in mind.
- 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700 (6-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.6GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
- 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9700K (8-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.9GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
- 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9900K (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5.0Ghz w/Turbo Boost)
- Graphics: Up to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 with 8GB GDDR6
- Display: Three-sided narrow border displays, 300-nits brightness, 72% color gamut
- 17.3″ FHD (1920 x 1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare IPS Display
- 7.3″ FHD (1920 x 1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare IPS Display with NVIDIA G-SYNC technology
- 17.3″ FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz Anti-Glare IPS Display with Tobii eyetracking technology
- 17.3″ FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz Anti-Glare IPS Display w/ NVIDIA G-SYNC + Tobii eyetracking technology
- Memory: 8GB/16GB/32GB/64GB DDR4 2400MHz
- Single: 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive, 256GB/512GB/1TB PCIe M.2 SSD
- Dual: 128GB/256GB/512GB/1TB PCIe M.2 SSD +
1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive, 116GB Intel Optane SSD + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive, 512GB/1TB/2TB Raid0 PCIe M.2 SSDs, 236GB Raid0 Intel Optane
- Triple: 512GB/1TB/2TB Raid0 PCIe M.2 SSDs + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive , 236GB Raid0 Intel Optane + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive
- Ports: Alienware Graphics Amplifier Port, DC Power Input Ports, Thunderbolt™ 3 with DisplayPort, RJ-45 Realtek 2.5Gbps Ethernet Port, 2x USB 3.1, USB 3.1 with PowerShare, HDMI 2.0 Port, Mini-display 1.4 Port, Audio Out, Global headset
- Connectivity: 10/100/1000/2.5Gbps RJ-45 Ethernet network Killer Wireless 1550 2×2 AC and Bluetooth5.0
- Keyboard: Alienware TactX keyboard with per-key RGB LED AlienFX lighting, anti-ghosting, and N-Key rollover technology, 2.2mm key travel, programmable macro keys, alphanumeric keys
- Audio: 2.0 Speaker configuration, Alienware Sound Center via Alienware Command Center, 7.1 Digital Audio out using HDMI out connection
- Camera: Alienware HD (1280×720 resolution) camera with dual-array integrated microphones
- Battery: Lithium Ion (90 Wh) Battery, ExpressCharge capable, Integrated
- Power: Dual A/C power (180W + 180W, 180W + 240W, 180W + 330W)
- Dimensions: 16.1 x 1.09 – 1.7 x 15.85in (410 x 27.65 – 42 x 402.6mm)
- Max Weight: 8.54lbs (3.87kg)
- Color: Lunar Light, Dark Side of the Moon
The Alienware Area-51m will be available on January 29th with a starting price of US$2549. Lower pricing configurations will be available in the near future as well.
Alienware Command Center updates
The company’s Alienware Command Center is also getting over 30 new features and improvements based on gamer feedback. The updated ACC will be available on the new Area-51m and m15/m17 gaming laptops.
Some of the features include:
- Profile Management: Create profiles for power, thermal management, sound, lighting, macros, and more. Link a profile to a game and its settings will automatically apply whenever the game is launched, no matter where it’s launched from
- Sound Center: A set of gaming-focused audio features, which can be individualized for specific games and applications
- Audio Recon: A gaming overlay showing a visual representation of where sounds are coming from in relation to the player
- Peripheral Manager: Control settings for Alienware mouse, keyboard, headset, etc.
- Performance Management: Control CPU, GPU, RAM, Voltage, and Fan performance settings to completely optimize the system; using profile management assign performance profiles to the system at start up
- Game Library: An easy place to launch any game installed
Last, but not least, on the gaming front, Alienware has announced a new multi-year partnership with Riot Games. As a result, Alienware will be the Official Competition PC and display partner for League of Legends eSports at the North American League Championship Series (LCS), League of Legends European Championship (LEC), and three annual global tournaments.
What do you think about the new Alienware Area-51m and other Alienware news coming out of CES 2019? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter, Facebook, or MeWe and stay tuned for even more CES 2019 coverage.