With more devices adopting USB-C Power Delivery, there are more chargers that provide alternate options. Our Choetech 72W USB-C Desktop Charger review takes a look at a charger with 60W Power Delivery support and three extra USB-A ports for additional charging.
The Choetech 72W USB-C Desktop Charger with Power Delivery has the following features and specifications:
- Advanced PD Technology: The USB-C port is equipped with power delivery(PD) technology, capable of charging your MacBook at full speed and other USB-C compatible devices at up to 60W(max.)
- Travel Charger: It can be portable at anytime and anywhere, not only can charge for mobile phone, but also can charge for tablet or MacBook.
- USB-IF Certified, Charge Safely: The USB-C is certified USB-IF, truly USB PD compliant and can be trusted to operate at a high level of safety. Besides, the built-in smart IC chip ensures complete protection for you and your devices, including over-heating, over-current, and short-circuit protections
- Ultra Powerful: 4 ports pump out 72W of power, enabling simultaneous multi-device charging.
- Universal Compatibility: 2018/2017/2016/2015 MacBook; 2017/2016 MacBook Pro; iPhone 8/8+/X (Require a USB-C to Lightning Cable); Samsung Note 8/ S8/S8+; Google Pixel 2/Pixel/Pixel XL; Nexus 5x/6P; LG G6, Huawei Mate 10, etc
- Input: AC 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 1.5A Max
- Output: 72W
- USB-C: 5V/3A; 9V/3A; 12V/3A; 15V/3A; 20V/3A
- USB-A: Total 5V/2.4A Max (2.4A Max each port)
What’s in the box
- USB-C Charger
- 1.5m Power Cord
- User Manual
- 30-day return (for any reason)
- 18-month warranty
- Lifetime technical support
The Choetech 72W USB-C Desktop Charger with Power Delivery has a pretty standard design. A black rectangular box, it is 3 5/8-inches wide, 2 7/8-inches tall, and 1 1/4-inches thick. The front edge which houses the ports tapers in slightly while the long edges are all slightly rounded.
The front edge plays host to a single USB-C port with three USB-A ports underneath it. Above the USB-C port, 60W is printed in grey while the USB-A ports have a rectangular line around them and 12W printed underneath the bottom port. This indicates a combined total of 12W for all three USB-A ports, with each port hitting a maximum of 2.4A output.
The back edge is where you’ll find the figure eight style power port. The two-prong power cable is just under five feet (1.5m) in length.
Finally, on the right side (when looking at the front ports), the Choetech logo is printed in the middle towards the top while the USB-IF Certified logo sits in the bottom right corner.
As far as performance is concerned, both the USB-C and multiple USB-A ports charged devices as expected. When testing the USB-C Power Delivery, we saw an average of just over 10W (8.91V/1.1A) but managed to peak out at about 8.91V/1.71A (around 15W).
We also tested the USB-C port on the Nintendo Switch in handheld mode and saw an average of around 8.5W (14.8V/0.58A) which is in line with expected power draw while in handheld mode.
When we had the Pixel Slate for testing, we did test it with the Choetech 72W USB-C Desktop Charger and it was more than ample with its 60W output to maintain performance from the Slate’s 45W power requirements.
While testing the above, we also plugged in a couple tablets via USB-A and while charging those the USB-C Power Delivery speeds didn’t drop at all.
In addition, it is USB-IF Certified so you don’t have to worry about the charger frying your devices.
At US$36.99, the Choetech 72W USB-C Desktop Charger is a great value if you have a device that uses less than 6oW of power. In addition, you get three USB-A ports to charge your other devices at the same time. Interestingly enough, the charger is only CA$37.99 which is a fantastic value if you take the current exchange rate into consideration.
If you’re looking for a USB-C charger with Power Delivery and extra USB-A ports for additional charging, the Choetech 72W USB-C Desktop Charger should be at the top of your list.
*We were sent a sample of the Choetech 72W USB-C Desktop Charger for the purposes of this review.
Last Updated on