While you can already use Alexa and Cortana with your Xbox console, however, Google Assistant has been missing from the list of digital assistants. That’s changed as of today as the Xbox Google Assistant Action has been released as a public beta for the Xbox One. During the beta, the Xbox Action for Google Assistant will only be available in English. Xbox is working with Google to bring more languages to the action before it launches later this fall.
Like the other digital assistants you can already use, with the Xbox Action and Google Assistant, you can turn your console on or off, adjust volume, launch a game or app, play or pause videos, and more using your Android, iOS, or Google Assistant and Home-enabled smart devices.
Getting started is easy, as outlined in Major Nelson’s blog post:
- Join our Google Group with the Google Account you intend to use
- Sign into your Xbox
- In the Google Home app for iOS or Android:
- Tap “+ Add”
- Tap “Set up device”
- Tap “Have something already set up?”
- Search for and select “[beta] Xbox”
- Sign in with the Microsoft account you use on Xbox
- Follow the instructions to link your Xbox and give it a device name
Once you’ve done so and are set up, there’s a number of commands you can use with your Google Home and Google Assistant-enabled devices to control your Xbox. Some of these include:
- Hey Google, turn on Xbox.
- Hey Google, turn off Xbox.
- Hey Google, play Gears 5 on Xbox.
- Hey Google, volume up on Xbox.
- Hey Google, volume down on Xbox.
- Hey Google, mute Xbox.
- Hey Google, un-mute Xbox.
- Hey Google, pause.
- Hey Google, play.
- Hey Google, next.
- Hey Google, previous
- Hey Google, take a screenshot on Xbox.
- Hey Google, record that on Xbox.
- Hey Google, reboot Xbox.
- Hey Google, stop on Xbox.
- Hey Google, switch to PBS on Xbox (if live TV is configured).
What do you think about the newly released Xbox Google Assistant Action? Have you tried out the public beta yet? Is it a feature you’ll be using? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter, Facebook, or MeWe.Source: Major Nelson
Last Updated on