As long term Techaeris readers will have no doubt figured out by now, we get an abundance of headphones and earbuds here to review. Our latest takes a look at a pair of dodocool Hi-Res Stereo Earbuds that feature sound isolation and are High-Resolution Audio certified. Read on to see how they stack up in this crowded market.
The dodocool Hi-Res Stereo Earbuds have the following features and specifications:
- High-Resolution Audio Certified: Complies with the High-Resolution Audio standard (24-bit/96kHz) and is much better than CDs (16-bit/44.1kHz). The frequency response is up to 45 kHz which exceeds the standard of Hi-Res earphones (40 kHz).
- High Quality Materials: Adopt OFC wire cores to reduce the loss of signal transmission and the attenuation of sound. The standard 3.5mm gold-plated stereo plug effectively reduces signal resistance. Provide high-fidelity transmission of audio signal resolution and conductivity.
- Large 9mm Titanium Driver Unit: Adopt a large 9mm nano-titanium driver unit to deliver a precise representation of the original sound. Provide ultra-fast responses and withstand unsurpassed dynamic power simultaneously.
- In-line Remote: Tangle-free cable with the in-line multifunction button and the HD microphone allows you to take handsfree calls, play or pause a song and use the voice control function conveniently.
- Sound Isolation: Ergonomic design with three sizes of interchangeable soft, silicone earplugs provides maximum comfort and a secure hold and blocks outside noise.
- Mylar thickness: Titanium diaphragm 6μ
- Driver diameter: 9 mm (dynamic)
- Impedance: 16 Ohms @ 1 kHz
- Output S.P.L: 100±4dB @ 1kHz with 126mVrms input
- Frequency response: 10 Hz ~ 45,000 Hz
- Noise isolation: -23 dB of ambient stage noise
- Microphone sensitivity: -42±4dB @ 1kHz Vs=2.0 V
- Input connector: 1/8″ (3.5mm) headphone jack, compatible with all systems
- Compatible devices: For iPhone 6s Plus/6s/6 Plus/6/Samsung S6/S5/Note 4/Blackberry/Nexus/PC and more devices that are equipped with a 3.5mm audio jack
- In-line remote size: Approx. 0.94 x 0.28 x 0.20 in
- Length: Approx. 3.94ft/1.2m (Total)
- Weight: Approx. 0.60oz/17g
What’s in the box
- dodocool Hi-Res In-ear Stereo Earphone with Remote & Mic
- 3 pair ear tips (S/M/L)
- Carrying Case
- Instruction Manual
As far as design goes, the dodocool Hi-Res In-ear Stereo earbuds are pretty standard. The earbuds themselves are cylindrical in shape with an outer shell constructed of a nice hard plastic. On the outer end is a circular piece in the middle that serves no purpose aside from decoration. Around the middle is a removable ear hook which helps with a more secure fit. Even though they can be removed, the earbuds fit much better with the ear hooks installed. The earplug itself is angled slightly forward, which provides a comfortable fit. Three pairs of ear tips are included and the earbuds come with the medium size preinstalled. Each earbud has the letter L or R stamped on the inside so you can easily tell which earbud goes in which ear.
The cable on these earbuds is different than a lot of other earbuds and is nice and flat. This flat design really helps to reduce tangling when wrapped up in your pocket or the included carrying case. Five inches down from the left earbud is where you’ll find the inline remote control and microphone. The inline remote features a single multi-function button which controls music playback and call functionality. A single press plays/pauses the current track, double pressing skips to the next track, while triple pressing goes to the previous track. For call control, a single press answers a call, double press ends the call, and holding it for two seconds will decline an incoming call. Each of these functions works as expected with no issues.
Finally, the flat cable ends in a gold plated 3.5mm audio jack with a small sticker wrapped around the cable featuring the Hi-Res Audio logo.
The included clamshell carrying case is a nice size and features a carbon fibre look with a zipper that goes around three sides. Opening up the case shows a mesh pouch in the top half for holding your extra ear tips. Both halves are nicely lined with a soft material. As mentioned, the hard-shelled carrying case is a nice rectangular size and you don’t have to wrap up the headphones very tightly to get them to fit inside the case.
So does Hi-Res Audio actually sound better? In all honesty, it depends on what you are listening to and what your source is. I really couldn’t tell much of a difference between these and non-Hi-Res Audio headphones, but that doesn’t necessarily mean much. From my understanding, there are plenty of headphones and earbuds that meet the Hi-Res Audio standards but have opted not to pay just to use the certified logo.
That being said, the sound from the 9mm drivers in the dodocool Hi-Res Stereo Earbuds was crisp and clear for the most part, with a nice range covering lows, mids, and highs. They definitely sounded better when used with a mobile device, like a smartphone, but were decent enough for use with a laptop. The couple laptops I tried them on, you could hear a slight hissing sound when there was no audio being played but that disappeared when you started to watch a video or listen to music. I did notice that when listening on laptops, the sound felt ever so slightly muddied — not enough to bother me but definitely just enough to notice.
The inline remote is actually nicely aligned for remote calls and sits just below my chin when wearing the earbuds. Call quality during our test call was pretty decent and I didn’t have to talk too much louder than normal for the other party to hear me through the microphone in the inline remote. When I did hold it closer to my mouth, speaking in a regular tone was more than adequate for the other party to hear me.
With an MSRP of $39.99USD, the dodocool Hi-Res Stereo Earbuds are fairly reasonably priced. They’re currently on sale for $24.99 on Amazon, and dodocool has once again provided us with a code for our readers. Simply enter 42SYVDYR during the checkout process to get an additional 40% off, which brings the final price down to $14.99 — pretty much a no-brainer at this price. The code is good until April 2nd, so if you’re interested you’ll have to act quick.
If you’re looking for a pair of lightweight, Hi-Res Audio certified earbuds, the dodocool Hi-Res Stereo Earbuds are definitely a comfortable, affordable, decent-sounding option.
*We were sent a sample of the dodocool Hi-Res Stereo Earbuds for the purposes of this review.
Last Updated on March 27, 2017.