If you are new to search engine optimization strategies, then you are in the right place. Black hat SEO means that your efforts are disapproved of. These strategies are intended to increase a page ranking within a search engine such as Google, however, they are in violation of Google’s terms of service and rules. The result can be detrimental to you and your business as your website could be indefinitely banned. You can read more about the specific tactics by reading your search engine of choices’ guidelines. To avoid being blacklisted, do not engage in black hat tactics. In this article, we will discuss some of the tactics and why you should avoid them. For professional assistance in creating a solid, high ranking website, check out Las Vegas SEO.
- Avoid hidden text – Hidden text is considered text that is searchable via a search engine but a visitor cannot see it on the website. While it may be important to you to bolster your traffic and get a higher ranking on Google with your attempts at hidden text, you could find yourself being banned from the search engine altogether.
- Refrain from overusing keywords – Keyword stuffing is more common than you would think as it is easy to do and something that seems harmless. When you have determined a list of keywords that your target market will likely use in order to find your company, avoid “stuffing” your website full of them. This can get your website into hot water.
- Article spinning is not a good idea – Updating your content from time to time is smart as it can increase your traffic immensely. However, when creating new content, you will want to avoid spinning the article as much as possible. Article spinning is taking one article and changing a few things around so that it is a different article but still uses all the same information from the old article. Article spinning will come up in Copyscape as copied work and thus can decrease your SEO ranking.
- Avoid unrelated keywords – It is tempting to use unrelated keywords because it is simple and easy to do so. If you know of something that is popular and will likely lead people to your site but it is totally unrelated to your content, avoid doing this. This is considered unrelated keyword usage and can tank your rank.
- Link bait and switch is cheating – While it is exciting to get traffic to your website, you should do so authentically and in an ethical manner. Link bait and switch is when you get traffic to a webpage but then the page is not what the person had searched for but instead a page full of ads or selling of your services.
You may find websites and articles out there that state that black hat marketing strategies are still a good tactic to use. Avoid this advice as it is severely outdated and not at all accurate. Instead, spend your time practicing good SEO. If you do not have the time or means to do so on your own, consider enlisting the help of professionals.
*The opinions expressed in this article are those of its author and do not represent Techaeris or its staff.
Last Updated on August 11, 2019.