Samsung today announced the U.S. availability of the Galaxy Tab Active2, a rugged tablet designed for mobile workers who conduct business outdoors or beyond office walls, including in the field, industrial locations, and harsh weather. The device provides easy access to essential functions in extreme conditions—such as high/low temperatures and wet environments—and advances seamless workflow by combining high durability and LTE connectivity with a range of innovative capabilities for business users.
“As the digital transformation of business accelerates, mobile workers across industries require a device that is purpose-built to fit their specific needs in any environment,” said Eric McCarty, Vice President, Mobile B2B Product Marketing, Samsung Electronics America. “The Samsung Galaxy Tab Active2 was designed to help businesses improve productivity, while reducing complexity, and do so while empowering workers in the most challenging working conditions.”
The Tab Active2 is MIL-STD-810-certified, the military standard for durability during excessive pressure, temperatures, vibrations and drops—and IP68-rated for water and dust resistance. Physical buttons are included for easy operation with work gloves, and the display can be used while wet, enabling access in rainy or inclement weather.
Other capabilities ensuring seamless workflow include:
- Ruggedized S Pen: An IP68-certified water and dust resistant S Pen provides high precision in tough environments, including use on a wet display as well as alternate access to the tablet when wearing gloves.
- LTE-Enabled: An LTE version lets workers in the field stay connected while mobile.
- Replaceable Battery: Batteries are replaceable through a removable back panel, so that fully-charged backup batteries can be available and easily inserted, keeping productivity flowing.
- Convenient Charging/Data Transfer: Pogo pins on the side of the tablet enable convenient charging, offering high durability for docking a device or multiple units.
- High-Resolution Camera: A 5MP front camera and 8MP autofocus rear camera delivers high-quality photos and scanning when capturing work photos or barcodes.
- Fast Access: Enhanced touch sensitivity lets users access touchscreen features while wearing gloves, while facial recognition allows fast device access using biometrics.
- The Tab Active2 is also IT friendly, with the Samsung Knox defense-grade security platform enabling IT administrators to customize the device for company purposes, providing employees access to just the apps required for business use. Enterprise Firmware Over-the-Air (eFOTA) allows testing before deployments, so enterprises have control over OS versions on employee devices.
“Mobile workers across industries—such as field service, transportation, and retail—typically demand purpose-built mobile devices for work, given the hazards associated with the environments they operate in,” said Bryan Bassett, Senior Research Analyst, Mobile Enterprise Device Solutions, IDC. “The Samsung Galaxy Tab Active2 addresses many demands head-on, providing a rugged business device that is easy to manage from an IT perspective, and delivers features and accessories specifically designed to improve mobile workflows beyond the scope of typical office use.”
The Galaxy Tab Active2 is available now, check out Samsung’s website for more information. What are your thoughts on the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active2? Let us know in the comments below or on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.